High Ground Video

Friona Facts

Friona Fast Facts
History PDF Print E-mail

Friona and Parmer County

The town of Friona, so named from the Frio Draw that runs south of town, was established in 1906.  It was originally a shipping point for the Capital Syndicate who named it Frio, but when a post office was granted in 1907 its name was changed to Friona.

The George G. Wright Land Co. had taken options on area lands and initiated a colonization project: they promised to the prospective buyers a fertile land and healthful climate.  In spite of the earlier drawbacks of prairie fires and drought the coming of windmills and irrigation wells in Friona and surrounding area has fulfilled the dreams of a fertile land and healthy climate.

Parmer County, which borders New Mexico on its western side, was created in 1876 from Bexar District and organized in 1907.   It is named for Martin Parmer, a signer of Texas Declaration of Independence.

It has not been much over a century since the Panhandle area was home mainly to the Indians and the New Mexican sheepherders.  In 1875 the last great war chief of the Commanches surrendered the western part of the Panhandle that became the famous XIT ranch which led eventually to the emigration of people to develop the land.

Friona has led in developing the area to its best potential.  There have been many changes since 1906 but the tradition of providing the best in education, culture, churches, recreation, farming, ranching, business and any other opportunity of improving the lives of its inhabitants has never changed.

 


© Friona Chamber of Commerce
Friona, Texas
Website Designed & Maintained by:  M.D. McCallum